Members at Large
Organize a New Club
Gardening From Heart
Typical Club Activities
TGOA/MGCA clubs across America are diverse and creative, so there are not
really any typical clubs. However, most do have certain features,
activities and priorities in common. These commonalties include emphasis on:
- Gardening education for members and the community.
- Community beautification and green space preservation.
- Encouragement, help and assistance to youth and disabled in gardening
- Establishment of good friendships and camaraderie with fellow gardeners.
Most clubs have monthly meeting programs that emphasize an educational
phase of gardening or horticulture. Listed below are special or ongoing
activities for some clubs, listed in order of the States.
Please go to
page to see club meeting locations, times,
and contact information.
Note: If your TGOA/MGCA club is not listed you are invited to submit a
list of its major annual activities. Also updates are encouraged.
Submit by email to: email@example.com
Valley of the Sun Gardeners
Garden Club of Littleton
Gardeners of Overland Park (Overland Park, KS)
Gardeners of America (Kansas City, KS)
Gardeners of Greater Cleveland (OH)
Findlay Men & Women's Garden Club
Gardeners of Van Wert County, (OH)
Men's Garden Club (TX)
The Garden Club of Austin
First Men's Garden Club
of Dallas (TX)
Men's Garden Club of Houston
Gardeners of Spokane (WA)
Gardeners Club of Green Bay (WI)
Valley of the Sun Gardeners
Garden Club of Littleton
Overland Park (Overland Park, KS)
A fun group of gardeners who like to get dirty.
Members include Master Gardeners, newbies, and everyone in between. All are
welcome. Meetings are the second Monday of the month at Colonial Church,
71st and Mission Rd, Prairie Village, KS. Social time 7 PM, meeting starts
at 7:30 PM.
Some of the coming year’s club events are listed below. (for 2011)
- December 13th,
2010 meeting is our
annual Christmas Social. Members bring appetizers or desserts. Bring a gift
($10 or less) get a gift exchange. A Barbershop Quartet will provide the
meeting will be a Round table discussion on plant propagation and seed starting.
- February meeting will be Master Gardener
Honey Barnekoff speaking on Shrubs.
- April 14 – 16 annual plant sale at
Church. Features a large variety of professionally and
member grown plants.
- May meeting Butterfly Lady.
- June 16-18 Chapter is hosting the National
Convention at Double Tree Hotel in Overland Park.
- September annual club potluck picnic.
- October annual members meeting and club
- Our chapter also gives two scholarships per
year to students.
club web site is
www.op-goa.org, with current newsletters and other
of America (Kansas City, KS)
Since 1998 partnered
twice with the KC Metro Water Garden Society to provide plantings for two of
their water feature installations (A retirement community and a local middle
Maintains a floral garden
area in front of the Vietnam Memorial at the Wyandotte County Lake Park.
Club members volunteer at
the historical garden at the Wyandotte County Museum and at the Agricultural
Hall of Fame.
In 2003 and 2004
sponsored garden tours of seven member gardens as community educational
Donates funds to newly
organized GOA clubs and the region's scholarship fund.
Offers two field trips
each summer to members and guests to places they might not otherwise visit.
Gardeners of Greater Akron (OH)
Sells 700 dozen geranium plants each May - main fundraiser for youth
gardening and scholarships.
Conducts a plant auction and fish fry - members bring and buy plants.
Provides beautification awards for outstanding home, business, and
Sponsors an annual Horticulture Show open to the public.
Installed and maintains a perennial
garden at Crown Point Ecology Center.
Plans and installs landscaping for new
Habitat for Humanity homes in connection with the TGOA Gardening From the
Provides college college scholarships
to Horticulture students at Ohio State Agricultural Technical Institute.
Greater Cleveland (OH)
- Provides guided tours at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens
for their Hershey Children's Garden.
- Provides guided tours at the Cleveland Rockefeller Park Greenhouse for
city public school 2nd and 3rd graders for two 8-week sessions annually.
- Maintains a section of the gardens at Ronald McDonald House serving
patients of Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital.
- Prepares and staffs booths at the Clifton Art Festival and Cleveland
Botanical Gardens to answer questions and sell plant material with proceeds
for student scholarships.
- Provides a booth at the Cleveland I-X Center Home and Garden Show to
answer questions and recruit members.
- In 1999 planted an early settlers herb garden at the Carter Cabin on the
Cuyahoga River in the Cleveland Flats.
- In 1998 rejuvenated several gardens in the Cleveland Flats as part of the
Crooked River Project.
- In 1992 restored the Courtyard Garden at the Cleveland Child Guidance
Findlay Men &
Women's Garden Club (OH)
Conducts a large fund raising auction each spring, featuring plants, garden
related items and good home baked items then uses the funds to support
Holds a Horticulture Show at the Findlay Mall, open to everyone.
Plants and maintains a large flowerbed at the junction of two main routes in
Maintains flowerbeds at the Red Cross, Masonic Temple, and other locations.
Participates in the TGOA/MGCA pumpkin/sunflower contest.
Conducts a flower and vegetable contest/show for youth at the county fair.
Gardeners of Van Wert County (OH)
- Conducts an annual plant sale,
Friday & Saturday before Mother's Day.
- Plants and maintains community
flower beds in various parks and public areas.
- Plants and maintains pots in
downtown areas in partnership with Starr Commonwealth School.
- Holds a horticulture show at the
County Fairgrounds in June along with three area garden clubs.
- Hosts a bus trip in June and
organizes a garden tour in July
- In summer three members mow the
interstate cloverleaf at State Routes 30 and 127.
- Hosts an annual picnic with other
- Presents civic beautification
awards to businesses and homeowners.
- Sets up a booth at the County
- Hosts a fall banquet.
Arlington Men's Garden Club
Maintains a church landscape.
Manages and teaches gardening using on-site garden at Children's University.
Garden Club of Austin (TX)
- Conducts educational meetings to make horticulture
information available to their community.
- Members volunteer to design, plant, water and care for
the gardens at Zilker Botanical Gardens.
- Conducts an annual plant auction, open to the public, netting about $900.
- Provides an annual Ice Cream and Cookies Family Night
with a special program.
- Participates with other garden groups to maintain a
Healing Garden for the Austin State Hospital.
- Conducts Summer/Fall flower and
vegetable shows, open to the public.
- Conducts, in conjunction with their shows, sale of
plants propagated by members for an annual net of $1500.
- Members volunteer to work the gate for the annual
fundraiser for Zilker Botanical Garden.
- Participates in their club, Region and National slide
- Members donate door prizes and Trade-A-Plant for the
- Awards scholarships to deserving students who are
majoring in horticulture.
- Celebrated their 50th Golden Jubilee in 2003,
established in 1953.
Men's Garden Club of
Provides scholarships to horticultural students of Richland College (Dallas).
Provides plants and landscaping to a home for the
mentally challenged and planted a landscape at a Habitat for Humanity location.
- Sponsored a new plant collection called the "Hardy
Palm and Tropical Collection" at the Dallas Arboretum in 2005.
See more at:
- Conducts monthly third Tuesday club meetings (7
PM) with guest speakers at North Haven
Gardens Nursery. Club provides refreshments, door prizes and nursery gift
certificates at each meeting.
- Conducts monthly Saturday seminars on gardening
topics by club and guest speakers at North Haven
Gardens Nursery in Dallas. See more at:
- Celebrated 25 years of public plant shows in 2002.
- Celebrated 60 years of Gardening Excellence in
2001. Established in 1941.
- Celebrated their 50-year Golden Anniversary in
2000, Affiliated with MGCA/TGOA in 1950.
- Hosted the MGCA/TGOA National Convention in 1995.
- Conducts Spring and Fall Plant and Vegetable Shows at local Malls.
- Conducts annual fund raising and created a
special club calendar as a fundraiser that benefits the club scholarship fund
and community projects.
- Members provide content for a local magazine.
- Club members provide gardening information at
garden shows both spring and fall.
- Has an annual picnic to thank local members and
Men's Garden Club of Houston (TX)
Sponsors annual Cylinder Gardening Program for over 3000 grade school
Provides training to teachers on how to teach horticulture.
Constructed and maintains the Iris bed at the Botanical Garden.
Conducts plant sales at each Flower and Vegetable Show.
Gardeners of Spokane (WA)
Has its own four-building greenhouse used for Community Education and
Service and Club fund-raising.
Provides plants and landscaping to a women's shelter, a men's shelter, a
home for the elderly, a museum, etc.
Conducts an annual plant sale in local mall to finance community projects.
Supports horticultural education at a Children's Home.
Celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 1999.
Gardeners Club of Green Bay
- Conducts monthly meetings with
gardening and related programs.
- Co-sponsors with Master Gardeners a
spring plant sale for fund raising purposes.
- Participates in the local Landscape
and Gardening Show with a booth to disseminate club information and greet and
educate the public.
- Conducts a produce weigh-in at the
Green Bay Farmers' Market in September.
- Conducts sunflower and pumpkin
contests for youths in September and October.
- Arranges an annual bus trip in
September for members and guests.
- Provides volunteer time, plants, and
money for a new perennial garden and rain garden at the Brown County Agriculture
and Extension grounds.
- Provides annual individual awards for
horticulture service to the community and to owners for their exceptional
residential, industrial, commercial, and institutional gardens.
- Hosts an annual Harvest Awards Banquet
for members, guests and awards recipients for all club awards including
recognition awards for members' service.
- Provides financial assistance to the
Green Bay Botanical Garden and the Northeast Wisconsin Endowment Fund for
- Maintains a club web site and monthly
newsletter with current club information.
- Hosted the TGOA/MGCA National
Convention in 1999.